Kayak fishing has become quite popular in the recent times. The sudden popularity in kayak fishing has been easily met by kayak manufacturers by introducing more and more styles of inflatable fishing kayaks. Generally these kayaks feature essential fishing accessories such as rod holders.
Inflatable fishing kayaks have numerous advantages over traditional watercraft counterparts. They are inexpensive, easy to transport, and can operate even in shallow waters. Unfortunately, not many people realize that inflatable kayaks are not just safe, but also more secure than traditional boats. Here are some reasons why you should consider buying an inflatable fishing kayak, if you’re passionate about fishing.
It is always one of the major concerns with watercrafts. Ability of the boat to sit in the water and stay afloat are two most important contributors that determine overall safety. Inflatable kayaks are considered to be more buoyant than traditional watercraft, due to the inflatable tubes. The inflatable collars help spread the buoyancy over the entire area of the boat structure, making it resistant to sinking.
The design of inflatable boats not just contribute to increased buoyancy, but also helps make the the boat more stable. An inflatable kayak sits flat on the water surface, due to low center of gravity, substantially reducing the chances of tip. Inflatable fishing kayaks are designed to handle rough water effectively. Also, swimmers can use the sides to pull themselves up without causing the boat to rock or flip.
Power & Maneuverability
Inflatable kayaks are quicker and more powerful because of right size motor. These are much lighter than traditional watercrafts. This is the reason why these are easy to maneuver and responsive. 8 horsepower motor is sufficient for boats to be used for the purpose of general boating and fishing. However, larger boats above 14 feet might require 30 horsepower motor.
Top Inflatable Fishing Kayaks
Sevylor Inflatable Sit-On-Top Kayak, 2-Person
This is a tandem sit on top inflatable kayak. It comes loaded with features. It has 2 sets built in bottom fins or skegs for direction. Also you get two sets of paddles. It has two holder spots and a small net to secure your cargo. Being made of heavy-duty 25-gauge PVC, this kayak sure feels stable. Most of the people have found it comfortable enough. But if you are are more than 6’2 , you might feel a bit cramped.
They Sevylor tandem kayak can hold up to 595 pounds. Inflatable kayaks in general are popular because once they are not in use, you can simply deflate and store it somewhere. You can use the kayak in any way, or anywhere you see fit. The other great thing about this inflatable kayak is that it is guaranteed not to leak. This kayak is strongly constructed. This kayak also has 25 guage dual fins for easy steering. This inflatable kayak also has an double airlock system which allows for quick inflation and deflation of the kayak,and prevents accidental air loss.
It has more than 90 reviews on amazon with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Advanced Elements AE1007-R
Advanced Elements AE1007-R AdvancedFrame Convertible Inflatable Kayak never fails to amaze us. It might be the best fishing kayak if you look across various sections on our website. Well you can find a short and a long review on the website .
Just to be concise, its been rated 4.6 out of 5 stars by more than 44 people on amazon.
Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Kayak with Pro Package
Sea eagle primarily manufactures inflatable kayaks. Whatever you do, they have an inflatable boat or kayak for you :). Given their price point, you will not be able to find such a mix of features and durability. For this reason, the sea eagle se370 has also been topping our charts. Check out the short review on the homepage and long review here.
It has more than 80 customer reviews on amazon and has received a rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
To make an informed choice you should also consider pros and cons :
- These are easily to store even in small spaces, You can deflate them, pack into a compatible storage bag and store in a closet. The compact design can be a boon for anyone who lives in a condo or small apartment.
- These are portable and easy to transport. You can carry the inflatable kayak on an airplane, when heading for a vacation trip.
- The rugged construction can take the real beating and last a very long time. It can also take the pressures of dog pawns and still work without even a small damage.
- Inflatable kayaks are extremely inexpensive. These are ideal choice for people looking for recreational use.
- Performance depends upon the quality of inflatable fishing kayak. However, most of the kayaks will give decent performance, irrespective of the make and manufacture.
- One of the most common complaints made by users is that the speed of the boat gets affected due to inflatable structure. This might be true for low-quality kayaks, but manufacturers these days have really diverted their focus in fixing this issue by introducing extremely high-quality material in the construction.
- There’s always a possibility of popping, if the boat hits a very sharp object. But, most boats come with quick repair kit so that you can easily fix the patch and continue. Also, the maintenance of inflatable is quite low as compared to hard-shell.
- Since the construction of kayaks include inflated tubes or collars, the side of the watercraft tends to be wider than any regular kayak. It does add to the stability, but also take away the speed.
Needless to say, the inflatable fishing kayak was once thought of as any other toy in comparison to regular kayaks. But, today these kayaks have worked out as most safe and secure options for water activities like fishing. The modern inflatable kayaks are available in a wide range of options, offering extremely safe, durable and puncture proof option for watercrafts. So while there are both advantages and disadvantages with inflatables, the the cons seem quite acceptable in return for the pros that are available in no other kind of fishing kayak.
If you are someone who likes to travel and explore nature, then an inflatable fishing kayak can offer the convenience of always having your personal boat with you. It can provide unlimited hours of peaceful fishing and has the ability to withstand just about anything. When not in use, inflatable fishing kayak can be placed in a portable carry bag and stored anywhere you like.